Before you begin...
- Add your switches to the Deako App
- Google Home/Assistant or Alexa must be set up before connecting.
Alexa or Google Assistant not working?
If Alexa or Google Assistant isn't responding to commands regarding your Deako switches, it can help to try a few different things:
Jump to a section...
Check your Wifi-bridge
Alexa and Google Assistant communicate with Deako Smart Switches and Smart Dimmers through WiFi. If you're having issues with Alexa or Google Assistant, it can help to verify your connection.
- If your wifi-bridge is a Smart Switch/Dimmer, use these steps to verify your connection.
- If your wifi-bridge is a Deako Connect, try troubleshooting the Connect.
Not sure what a wifi-bridge is? This help article has further info!
Deako skill isn't available
If the Deako skill isn't showing in your Alexa app, check your Alexa location settings and make sure your country is set to the United States.
Check for error messages
Alexa and Google Assistant will provide error messages that can help figure out what the issue is. Here are a couple that can come up:
Alexa says, "there's more than one device with that name"
- Alexa has trouble delineating between devices that begin and end similarly
- For example, “Kitchen Ceiling Light” and “Kitchen Sink Light” both begin with “Kitchen” and end with “Light” so Alexa may have trouble.
- Try "Kitchen Ceiling" and "Kitchen Sink" instead
Alexa says, "[name] doesn't support that"
- This means there's a Group in the Alexa app with a similar name to a switch in the Deako app
- Try removing the Group (if you're not using it) or changing the name of the switch
Google says, "I need more information"
- You may need to enable Activity Controls.
- This Setting is in different locations depending on your device type and app, so check the Google App, Google Home App, and your phone settings.
Google says, "I couldn't reach the Deako"
- When a command isn't given to Google Home for a while, it will wind down to save resources
- The next time a command is given, it needs to wind up again - if that takes a few extra seconds it may give that message, but will still be able to control the light.
Google/Alexa says, "[name] is unresponsive"
- The switch may be having some intermittent issues
- Try power cycling the switch.
Rediscover/Relink your devices
If you've recently made changes to your switches in the Deako app, Alexa or Google Home may take a while to update. It can help to rediscover or relink your devices
Rediscover devices in Alexa
Simply give the command, "Alexa, discover devices".
You can also use the following steps:
- Open your Alexa app, and tap on More
- Tap Skills & Games, and then tap Your Skills
- Locate and tap on Deako
- Tap Disable Skill, then tap Disable
- Tap Enable To Use, then sign in to your Deako account
- Tap Discover Devices
Relink devices in Google Home
- Open the Google Home app and tap on Settings
- Tap Works with Google
- Under Linked, find and tap on Deako
- Tap Check for new devices
- When prompted, sign in to your Deako account
Still having trouble?
Report this behavior to our team by shaking your phone while in the Deako app