If you're seeing an error in the Deako app stating that we can't connect to your switch, this usually means that your phone is having trouble connecting to your switch via Bluetooth.
Here are some steps that can help with that:
1. Check your Bluetooth settings
Is Bluetooth turned on?
First, check that Bluetooth is enabled in your phone's settings.
Does the Deako app have permission to use Bluetooth?
Let's make sure we have the proper permissions turned on in your phone's settings!
If you're using an Android phone:
- Open your Android device's Settings page
- Go to Apps, then select the Deako app
- Tap Permissions
- Make sure that "Nearby devices" and "Location" are both Allowed
- Completely quit and re-open the Deako app, or restart your phone
If you're using an iPhone:
- Open Settings
- Scroll down and click on the Deako App
- Make sure that Location and Bluetooth are enabled ("While using the app" also works)
- Completely close and reopen the Deako App, or restart your phone
2. Reset app permissions
If you're still having issues, going through the first steps of pairing a switch will force your phone to re-check the Deako app's Bluetooth permissions:
- Open the Deako app
- Tap the plus sign at the bottom of the screen, then tap "Device"
- Choose "Smart Switch"
- Tap "Next" and when asked if your light is controlled by more than one switch, choose No
- When you get to the "Press and hold switch" screen, simply go back to the home page in the Deako app - your switches should now be able to connect to your phone via Bluetooth.
3. Power cycle the switch
If that's not working, try power cycling your switch (i.e. unplugging it and plugging it back in) via these instructions.
Still having trouble?
If you continue to see error messages after following these steps, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.