Before you get started...
Do I need to link my switches?
Linking is only required if you have more than one switch controlling your light. Linking is a process that lets the switches know they have buddies controlling the same light.
Want to learn more about 3-way and 4-way circuits? See Wiring types.
What kind of switches do I need?
If you are installing Deako Smart Switches, you will need one smart switch for each switch in the circuit.
If you are installing Deako Smart Dimmers, you will need one Master dimmer and one Remote dimmer for each other switch in the circuit.
This article is for Smart Switches, Remote Smart Dimmers, and Master Smart Dimmers only. To confirm your device is one of these, check the model number on the back of the switch. If the model number is DS2005, DS2011, or DS2012 you're good to go! If the model number is DS0001 or DS0002, follow these instructions.
3-Way & 4-Way Linking
1. Remove all existing switches
If you are replacing switches, first remove all the existing switches from their backplates.
2. Plug in a Smart Switch or Remote Smart Dimmer
Insert a Smart Switch or Remote Smart Dimmer into one of the backplates.
✔ If the switch flashes green...
Awesome! Move on to step 3.
✖ If the switch doesn't light up...
Don't worry, it happens to the best of us! Move on to the next backplate in the circuit and repeat step 2.
3. Put the switch into linking mode
Press & hold the configure button until it begins flashing purple.
4. Repeat step 2 & 3 for each backplate in the circuit
Repeat steps 2-3 for each switch in the circuit, making sure that each of them lights up (this means that they're powered) before moving on to the next.
5. Plug Master Dimmer into last backplate (for dimmable circuits only)
If you're installing Deako Smart Dimmers, this is where you want to install your Master Dimmer. If you're installing Deako Smart Switches, skip this step!
6. Start the linking process
- Confirm that the all switches in the circuit are flashing purple.
- Once confirmed. press and hold the configure button on any switch until it flashes white.
- The switches will continue flashing white and the light may turn on and off (pretend it's a rave!).
Once the switches show solid white and turn off, linking is complete.
7. Test each switch
Try turning the light on and off from each switch. If it works, huzzah! You did it! If something is wrong, try factory resetting your switches and trying again.
Now that your 3-way or 4-way circuit it set up, it can be paired to your phone using the Deako App. Learn more...