Attention electricians! We realize you are experienced in your trade but to save you time and effort, skim through these quick tips and tricks for working with Deako products.
1. Don't Swap Wires
Deako backplates are polarity sensitive. For complete functionality of Deako backplates:
- Do not swap travelers in 3-way installations
- Do not swap the switch leg and power in 1-way installations
2. Do Test Installations with a Smart Dimmer
By using a Smart Dimmer to test installations, you are testing the polarity to ensure all Deako Smart Products will work in the backplate.
If you are installing Deako Switches in a 3-way or 4-way, install Smart Switches at any line locations and only install a Smart Dimmer at the load location.
3. Do Keep Junction Boxes Clean
Deako Backplates will fit in regular junction boxes. Just follow these recommendations to avoid a struggle:
- Utilize all space in the junction box
- Keep your Romex clean and towards the back of the box
- Pigtails are optional
- Combine wires under one wire nut
4. Don't Work with Shallow Boxes & Dead-ends
While Deako backplates and switches will work, we recommend avoiding these circumstances when possible.
5. Do Label 3-way Backplates as Line & Load
It is optional to use a sharpie and label the backplates as line and load. This will help yourself and the homeowner later when plugging in Smart Dimmers.